With his agriculture and accounting expertise, Doug is dedicated to helping ag business owners with financial, operational, and tax challenges. He brings over 20 years of experience working for agribusinesses involved in beef production, dairy operations, grain production, and marketing.
He serves as an advisor throughout the lifecycle of a business. Staying abreast of changes to tax regulations and financial reporting requirements, most of Doug’s conversations with business owners revolve around their goals, feeding his ability to apply effective strategies for tax planning, equity management, and cash flow creating results that greatly impact the day-to-day business.
Recent outcomes Doug contributed to include:
- Turning around a small feed yard operation from a $300,000 net loss to a $600,000 net profit in one year by establishing internal accounting processes to more accurately track inventory and costs, and improving feeding margins by 35%.
- Refinancing long-term debt and favorable line of credit, and reducing tax liability through planning. This increased working capital by $1.2 million, allowing the operation to grow and expand.
- Expediting a family-farm operation buyout that involved negotiating the buyout plan, securing financing, estate planning, and working through legalities to achieve an urgent six-week deadline. Successful planning of the transaction increased net worth passed to heirs by $800,000.
- Restructuring an agribusiness entity that was buying grain, resulting in reducing third-party risk and increasing working capital by $4 million, thus eliminating the need to borrow funds.
- Negotiating a unanimous buy-sell transaction for a business with multiple owners, allowing continued operations and saving 60 jobs.
Doug has a special passion for agribusiness with direct experience working at a feed yard and a grain company early in his career. Fostering long-term relationships and spending quality time with producers on-site at their operations is his favorite part of the job.
- M.S., agribusiness, Kansas State University
- B.S., accounting, Sterling College
- Licensed CPA in Kansas and Nebraska
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Kansas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Nebraska Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- Kansas Livestock Association
- National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
- Nebraska Cattlemen Association
- Tri-Valley Medical Foundation, treasurer
- Rotary International
- K-State Alumni Association
Mentions and articles by Doug