Kevin partners with business owners to create sophisticated income and tax solutions that include structuring organizations, transitioning businesses, and maximizing tax benefits at present and into the future.
A tax attorney, Kevin routinely represents and resolves IRS appeals cases with an excellent track record of success. A detailed researcher, he creates solid strategies to protect business assets and limit risk. Kevin collaborates with both K·Coe Isom and external resources to develop innovative solutions and employ creative tax techniques, including:
- Advocating for a $30 million family business serving as an expert witness in a case stopping the former son-in-law from taking a large share of family assets. The judge ruled in favor of the family because of the particularly clear terms in the succession-plan strategy the firm had created for the family.
- Reducing capital gains tax by 25% on a retirement purchase transaction by restructuring a C-Corp oil and gas company in Colorado.
- Employing land as an asset base to provide a fair percentage of an estate to heirs not involved in a family’s farm operations, while allowing cash flow for on-farm heirs to sustain the operation.
Kevin navigates complex family dynamics and advises family business owners that fair doesn’t always mean equal. When putting together estate plans, he focuses on ensuring operating assets and cash flow are accessible to on-farm heirs for long-term, prosperous farm operations, while also providing a monetary benefit to other off-farm heirs. Kevin listens closely to family business goals and develops financial strategies so the family business will survive and thrive in future generations.
- L.L.M., tax, University of Denver – Sturm College of Law
- J.D., law, Stetson University College of Law
- M.B.A., business management and accounting, University of West Florida – College of Business
- B.A., accounting and finance, University of West Florida
- Licensed to practice in tax court
- Family business and tax conferences on estate and succession planning
- Writes for Ag Journals
- The Colorado Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Kit Faragher Foundation: board member
- Habitat for Humanity
- Tennis and skiing
- Reading biographies, history, and classics
- Travel with family to South America to practice Spanish and to Europe to embrace the culture and history
Mentions and articles by Kevin