Mark develops profitable tax and estate solutions for fruit, nut, and grain producers, as well as owners of construction firms and specialty construction products manufacturers.
As unpredictable weather continues to impact agricultural income and operations, Mark works to minimize the tax bite so agribusiness owners can invest those dollars in necessary infrastructure adaptations such as wells and water-conserving microjets. His strategic tax-mitigation planning allows family ventures to continue to expand their business and holdings for future generations without acquiring too much debt in the process.
To benefit the bottom line, Mark takes approaches such as:
- Guiding small agricultural ventures to form co-operative structures that maximize Interest Charge-Domestic International Sales Corporation (IC-DISC) savings through larger quantities and more negotiating power.
- Keeping $300,000 in working capital on hand for a commercial contractor who also develops real estate by demonstrating (to the IRS’ satisfaction) that he his active involvement in the business of real estate appropriately enables him to offset ordinary income with passive losses during the market downturn.
- Establishing estate planning and entity structuring for an agricultural matriarch to significantly reduce the tax liability of her multimillion-dollar estate, enabling her to treat all heirs equally and give descendants a sense of ownership in the farm even before they inherit it.
For every business, Mark strives to remove some of the mystery and uncertainty from tax planning by providing solid information that drives smart decisions. Mark pursued a business degree because his father, a Yuba City physician for 50 years, encouraged him to learn about the building blocks of running a profitable business. He relishes the flexibility of accounting and the way thoughtful approaches can make good businesses operate even better.
- B.S., accounting with minor in economics, California State University, Chico
- Licensed CPA in California
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Red Cross, Buttes Area Chapter Chairman
- Fremont-Rideout Health Group, Past Foundation Chairman
- Yuba City Rotary, Club President
Mentions and articles by Mark